About Our founders
In 2003, PJ's Corner was established by Phyllis and Janey Fisher as a treasure trove for nostalgic products that feature a look from the past. The idea of PJ's Corner Gift Shoppe formed several years before the store opened. This mother-and-daughter team often spent their time creating small, handmade items and writing children's books. As they did this they would talk about owning a store of their own.
In 1999, they started writing a children's story called Children of the Desert, which is a gathering of childhood memories of Phyllis' life in the Arizona desert. Phyllis also worked with her cousin—Sam—to write Twiglet, The Little Christmas Tree. At the same time, Janey started creating greeting cards with a rustic, original look.
In 2002, they came up with the name "PJ's Corner" while on a trip to pick up a corner cabinet that Phyllis had inherited from her parents. The "P" stands for Phyllis and the "J" for Janey. As they brainstormed all the way to Oregon and back, PJ's Corner Cabinet was shortened to "PJ's Corner." The long trip gave them the opportunity to finalize years of planning.
A Family History of Paper Dolls
Phyllis has been sketching and drawing since 1956, and she has been making paper dolls since 1971. Her original inspiration was her family. She created a line of dolls to represent her children and grandchildren. The original dolls included Chrissy, Melly, and Janae. Over the life of the company, the paper doll collection has grown. The style and flair of these dolls was applied to a number of products made by Janey.